Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hand Warmers


   I  have been going gaga over all of the fingerless gloves/armwarmers on Etsy recently and decided that's what I should ask for for my birthday (hint hint Mom!)  Well it got really cold here on Friday night.  Since my birthday isn't for a couple of weeks, and I can't crochet or knit I came up with some of my own.  I took the idea from making baby legs and my friend Sarah who wore something like this in her marathon.



First I found a pair of socks that I was willing to part with.  These were starting to get worn through in the bottom so what the heck. And I think they are perfect for my Halloween costume!




I then cut them off right at the ankle, above the heel.



Really you could be done there.  But I wanted a hole for my thumb, so I could do things like stitching or typing on the computer.



So I cut just made a tiny cut with my rotary blade about 1 1/2 inches down from the top.



Ta Da!  A thumbhole.
I didn't want to stretch out the openings by putting it on my sewing machine, so I just left the edges raw. I also dig how it looks!  I might put some fray check on the cut edges to keep it from unraveling at all.



So there you go, some easy handwarmers for chilly fall days.   I think I'm going to use these for my Halloween costume too.  And hopefully this will keep me from stretching out all of the sleeves on my sweatshirts!

2 comments:

  1. Jenn, super cute, what are you going to be for halloween? So on the arm socks I made for running I used little girl knee highs. Cut the toe off (like right before the seam on the toe). THen I wore them upside down, the band that normally goes around your calf was around my hand (and I cut the thumb hole right below the band. THen when I pulled the sock up it lined up just right so that my elbow was right at the heel of the sock.
    I looked up the warmers like the ones you made on etsy...cute. How are people wearing them in an outfit? Just under a long sleeve shirt or even with short sleeves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw this on your link within, and i love it! daisy really wants some cuffs (and the desire started with this year's plan for a punk fairy halloween costume, lol) and i was thinking we could do something like this, but i'm grateful to see a successful execution of it.
    you simply rock!

    ReplyDelete

I la la love hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails